Thursday, April 1, 2010

So Yummy!


(excuse the photo quality...taken with the trusty iPhone!)

Last week, I was craving O'Charley's Loaded Potato Soup. I don't eat there often, but when I do, I usually get a cup of loaded potato soup and it is always so delicious! I decided instead of driving to get some, I would try to find a similar recipe online. I found the PERFECT recipe! I changed some of the ingredients and added a couple things and it turned out perfect. I actually thought it was BETTER than O'Charley's...I know that is bias but I had 3 grown men tell me that too. I know the weather is finally warming up here in GA so you don't really want soup but I find this to be such a comfort food. I served the soup with grilled chicken and it was a great mix!

Loaded Potato Soup

* 3 lbs red potatoes
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1/4 cup flour
* 4 cups half-and-half
* 3 cups milk ( I used 2%)

* 1 (16 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, melted
* white pepper (black works fine too..I just happen to have white)
* garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
* 1 package of Hormel Real Crumble Bacon (or you can fry some up but this was easier!)
* 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
* 1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped


Directions

1. Dice unpeeled red potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes.
2. Place in large saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil.
3. Let boil for 10 minutes or until 3/4 cooked.
4. In a separate pan, combine melted margarine and flour, mixing until smooth.
5. Place over low heat and gradually add half-and-half and milk, stirring constantly.
6. Continue to stir until smooth and liquid begins to thicken (if it doesn't get super thick, don't worry...it will when you add to potatoes).
7. Add melted Velveeta.
8. Stir well.
9. Drain potatoes and add to cream mixture.
10. Stir in pepper, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce (add to taste...I added some, taste tested and then added more).
11. Add entire package of bacon (if you want, you can save some to throw up top once the soup is finished) and 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese (add more if you want).
11. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
12. Place soup into individual serving bowls and top with crumbled bacon, shredded cheese and chives.


As you can see, this soup will feed an army! It fed 3 of us, plus I had enough left overs to send home with my brother, Ryan, AND my grandmother! I also froze some and can't wait to eat it again!
blog comments powered by Disqus