Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Moss Covered Letters

DIY projects for the wedding are my favorite! It is a simple way to show your personal style throughout your day AND do it on the cheap! Since day one of this wedding planning, I knew I wanted letters to hang on the church doors! I looked online and found some pretty moss covered ones and figured I could totally make them!

I looked for several weeks online and in stores (Hobby Lobby and Michaels) for 24 inch letters and had no luck finding them...I was feeling let down! Of course I could find the small letters but no big ones! That soon changed though when my Aunt Liz told me she found the 24 inch letters at JoAnne's when she was doing a craft project for my cousins room!!! woo hoo!

This Monday, my Dad and I met my Memaw for lunch and then went to JoAnne's to pick up the letters and other craft supplies! I bought a M and R, spray adhesive and a bag of sheet moss. The project ended up being a lot simpler then I thought, but it was messy!!!

Here is how I made my moss covered letters:


All the supplies!


Best Stuff EVER!



First thing you need to do is trace the letter on the moss and then cut it out. I messed up on this part the first time...make sure to leave about an inch 1/2 outside of your traced letter so you can fold it over the back/sides.


Once you have traced and cut the moss, you spray the letter and place the moss on top and then start to form the moss to the letter.


After spraying the letter with adhesive and laying the moss down, you have to do a lot of rubbing and pushing to get the moss to lay right. My fingers got super sticky and were moss covered by the end! haha


After I had glued the moss down I realized that it wasn't holding as well with the paper. So..make sure you remove ALL the paper from underneath the moss sheets!

And here is the Finished Product! I am so happy with how the M turned out!I'm sure the R will look even better since I now know what I am doing.




I'm planning on adding ribbon to the back to hang them! :) I can't wait to make the R!!! P.S. this project cost me around $30 (after coupons)...I found some moss covered letters for sell on Etsy for $150!!!!! whoa!
blog comments powered by Disqus